Making slime with kids of any age is a fun adventure, however with preschoolers, slime is fun and full of wonder. They enjoy mixing and watching ingredients dissolve and then are amazed at the transformation of liquid to sold. We played with different variations of the slime recipe and found both to be easy enough for little hands. The best part about making slime, it’s science preschoolers will love. You can color your slime whatever color you’d like. We ended up making 4 different batches, experimenting with various additives and quantities, so in the end, our mixed slime looked pretty gross!
How make slime – glue and borax recipe
- 1/2 cup School glue
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp borax
- 1 cup water
- Mix 1/2 glue (about one bottle school glue) with 1/2 cup water. Mix well.
- Dissolve 1 tsp borax in 1 cup water. Slowly stir borax solution into glue solution. The more borax solution you add, the stiffer the slime will become.
How to make slime – glue and Tide laundry detergent recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 school glue
- 1/4 cup liquid Tide laundry detergent
- Combine water and school glue, mix well. Slowly stir in Tide until slime forms
Making slime tips
- Always add the borax or laundry detergent to the glue solution to allow for more control over the consistency of the slime.
- If you’d like to add color or extras to your slime such as fragrance or glow liquids, make sure to add these extras to the glue solution before adding the laundry detergent.
- These ingredients are non-toxic, however should not be eaten and should be handled with adult supervision and all utensils washed thoroughly.
More slime recipes
- Glow in the dark slime made by Amy Locurto at LivingLocurto.com
- Lots of how to make slime videos are available on YouTube
- A whole pile of slime recipes are available from Chemistry.About.com
Making slime can be another fun way to explore colors and textures. Try mixing in different colors. What about combining different batches of slime. What happens when you add different extras to your slime mixture? What fun Slime recipe can you make?