When winter weather starts heading your way, it means the leaves will be changing colors if not completely fallen off the trees. Before they blow away, this is a great time to take the opportunity to make some really neat leaf craft projects, leaf art, and other leaf activities with your preschooler. If you’ve already missed the chance to collect leaves, or you live in an area that doesn’t get cold enough for fall leaves, don’t worry, there are other options. Either check your local craft store or online for fake leaves or alter the project ideas using green leaves or dried leaves.
Other leaf project ideas:
- Go on a nature walk hunting for as many different types of leaves as possible. Bring a bag to collect the leaves when then count all the different finds when you get home.
- Using the press leaf idea, make a set of cards with pairs of matching leaves to create your own fun match game.
- If you don’t have any leaves around, make your own from your preschooler’s hand print (cute!).
- Create beautiful art with leaf rubbings, leaf painting or leaf collages.
- Talk about the seasons with different colors of leaves.
Remember, you don’t have to use only leaves from trees. Explore the differences in leaves from trees, bushes and other plants in your area.