Make your own cars with this fun project using small recycled boxes. You can paint or color the cardboard boxes if you’d like, but we used candy boxes and like the candy box look for our cars. You can also try using Jell-o boxes, or you can make bigger cars using a whole variety of boxes. For the wheels of your car, use water bottle lids or other small plastic lids. Turn your dinner ingredient boxes into playtime fun!
Supplies needed to make a candy box car:
- 4 plastic lids
- 1 plastic straw
- something to poke a hole with such as a Philips screw driver – we used a scratch awl
How to make a candy box car:
- Cut one corner of the candy box and fold inward as shown, glue in place.
- Poke 2 holes from one side of the box to another where you would like the wheels.
- Poke a hole through each of the plastic lids.
- Cut the straw into two pieces at least 1″ wider than your box, this will hold the wheels in place.
- Carefully push the straw through the holes on the box. Push wheels on to straw.Glue or tape in place.
- The holes in the wheels should be snug on the straw, however the holes on the box can be loose around the straw to allow the straw to move – enabling the wheels to turn.