Guest post by Shannon Weidemann
An important element to any birthday party is having a way to entertain your party guests. A great way to do this is with some party games. How about when your guests are in the 3 to 5 age group? Here are 5 age appropriate party games for preschoolers.
- Freeze Dance. This game requires a CD player or MP3 player with speakers, a favorite song of the birthday child, and the ability to pause the music. Get everyone up and dancing and then when the music stops have them freeze in place. Little kids have a short attention span so only pause the music for a short time. An alternative is to get everyone walking in a circle and freezing in place when the music stops. This is also a great game in between playing other games if the children enjoy it.
- Hunt. Based on an egg hunt, this game can use any sort of recognizable object that is easy to hide. For example if you are having a rubber ducky party, then hide a bunch of rubber duckies around the room. Take some inspiration from the theme when planning this game.
- Bean Bag Toss. Get a big piece of cardboard and carve some holes in it. Preschoolers may need slightly larger holes than bigger party guests, so do some testing with your child to see what the perfect size is. Circles, triangles, and squares are all great shapes. Then give each party guest 3 bean bags to try and toss through the holes.
- Pin the Tail on the Donkey. This is a classic party game that all children love to play. Younger guests may not want to put a mask on and that is not a problem. It will be fun to see where they think that the tail belongs on the donkey.
- Pull String Pinata. A pinata does not have to be the whack with a stick while blind folded variety. There is a kinder, gentler way for preschoolers to enjoy this game. Find a pull string pinata or get a conversion kit. Each child gets a chance to pull a ribbon to see if it is the secret one that opens the trap door in the bottom.
Have fun planning your preschooler’s next birthday party with these fun games. Your party guests are sure to have a great time.
Shannon Weidemann has been offering party planning advice since 2002 as the Partyelf. Check out all the Children’s Party Themes available for your preschooler’s birthday party.