In late August when school is beginning again and the air gets a wee bit chillier, we start to remember that pumpkin season is nearly upon us. Usually we might start thinking about pumpkin pie, jack-o-lanterns and maybe pumpkin bread. However, pumpkin seeds are a fantastic recipe to put together with your preschooler. They can help with the scooping and cleaning and seasoning… and then they’ll be even more excited to help with the munching.
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1 tablespoon butter
How to make sugared and spiced pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Spread seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until dry and toasted.
- While seeds are toasting, mix together 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, and All Spice and set aside.
- Heat the butter in skillet then add seeds and remaining sugar and cook over medium high heat until sugar melts and begins to brown.
- Pour seeds into spiced mixture and stir until well coated. Cool before serving.