Make a fun fishing game in 15 minutes and create hours of happy play time! This is a great game to work on a variety of skills and your kids won’t even realize all the great things they are learning. Create fish of different colors and sizes to all for variations in play. You can use it as a simple “catch” style game or play with a goals such as color matching or size matching.
Making the game is half the fun. Your preschooler will love helping create all the different fish! Below are two options to make your fish, pipe cleaners or paper with paperclips.
You will need:
- A stick or dowel
- Small magnet
- Pipe cleaners
- Paper clips
- Crayons, colored pencils or markers
How to make a fishing game:
Make the fishing rod first – if you choose to make paper fish, allow your child to be creative with their fish creations. Making the fish can be an activity all in itself.
- Tie some yarn to your stick letting the yarn hang at least 18″. Make sure to measure the length of the yarn so the bottom end will reach the location of the fish from where your child sits or stands to do their fishing.
- Attach the magnet to the end of the hanging yarn
Make the fish
- Cut and twist pipe cleaners to make simple fish
- Cut and color fish using paper
- Attach a paper clip
How to play the fishing game:
- Place all the fish on the floor.
- Hold fishing rod so the magnet touches the “fishing pond”.
- Move fishing rod around until one of the fish is picked up by the magnet.
- Play just for fun, everyone wins!
Tip: Mix up the fun by challenging your preschooler to catch a certain color or size of fish
This idea was inspired by the Frugal Family Fun Blog